Announcement from John Flynt, Community Preparedness Coordinator for SLC
The school year is upon us and we need to give the SAFE Neighborhoods program a big push to educate and encourage Salt Lake City residents to play a part in making sure they are as prepared as possible for a catastrophic event.
Below are two lists of dates that have been set to provide different levels of the SAFE Neighborhoods program training. The first list is of the specific schools listing the level of training and date that will be provided at each. The second list is of training sessions I have scheduled to hold at the new Public Safety Building.
This program started as a pilot program for Salt Lake City but I am pleased to say that as of this year will be implemented throughout the Wasatch Front and by next year, potentially state wide. Please help promote the program as much as you can as it is quickly becoming a critical component of state-wide disaster preparedness planning. This being the case, we are currently developing a new interactive website and will be updating fliers and other literature over the next couple of weeks. I will send out notices and updates as they are completed.
If you have distribution/contact lists for groups with which you communicate and/or coordinate regularly, please distribute this information to them and consider sharing them with my office (Emergency Management).
Schools currently scheduled:
• Lowell Elementary – District 3
1. SAFE Orientation – September 16th, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals – September 27th, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
• Wasatch Elementary – District 3
1. SAFE Orientation – November 18th, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals – December 6th, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
• Bennion Elementary – District 4
1. SAFE Orientation – October 7th, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals October 25th, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
• Bonneville Elementary – District 6
1. SAFE Orientation – October 21st, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals – November 8th, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
• Uintah Elementary – District 6
1. SAFE Orientation – September 30th, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals – October 11th, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
• Nibley Elementary – District 7
1. SAFE Orientation – November 4th, 2014 at 6:30-8:30pm
2. Shelter Fundamentals – November 22nd, 2014 at 9:00am-1:00pm
In addition to the school training dates, these are training sessions and dates scheduled to be held at the PSB.
Date Training Time
9-13-2014 Shelter Manager 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
10-18 & 25-2014 DIST 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
12-4 &11-2014 Shelter Manager 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
1-6, 13, 20, & 27-2015 DIST 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
2-21-2015 Shelter Manager 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
3-7 & 14-2015 DIST 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
4-21 & 23-2015 Shelter Manager 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
5-5,12,19,26-2015 DIST 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
DIST = Disaster Instructor Service Training (Train the Trainer course)
Thank you everyone for your time and contributions to the program!
Click on the following link for more information: